Top 5 computer tips to keeping your computer or notebook running like new. For most of us, our computers begin to slow down within months of purchasing them new. Follow these 5 simple tips to avoid problems in the future.
1. Uninstall programs you don’t need. Go through your add/remove programs in Windows and identify programs you’ve never used. It is safe to say, if you haven’t used it yet, you probably never will and it will continue to waste space.
2. Run a weekly scan of CCleaner. This program is perfect in how it helps keep your computer clear of temporary internet files and includes a registry cleaner. The program interface is very easy to use.
3. Remove any unnecessary start-up and background services. This list continues to grow as we install new software on our computers. For some programs, it is necessary to have a background service starting up with the boot of your system. However, for most programs it is safe to say that they can be removed from this list. To access these, click start, run and type the command msconfig. The system configuration box will open, click either the start-up or services tab. Please remember to hide all Microsoft services before you remove any services.
4. Keep Windows up-to-date. In the control panel, choose Update or Windows Update. Make sure Windows Update is enabled, and also check for any new updates here.
5. Perform a Disk De-fragmentation. Windows is not very efficient when it comes to storing files. Because of this, your computer has to work harder to make them run. Running a disk de-frag is a long process but only needs to be done a few times a year. To do this, open up Computer or My Computer, right-click your local disk C: and select properties, select tools and defragment now.